Monday 29 September 2008

The Unbearable Lightness of Baggage



Pakistan International Airlines lets me take 47 kg of wordly goods. It's generous but now that I'm packing I judge everything by what it weighs. The papier mache comes, the gold stays. Fancy jars of face-cream, bad; squeezy tubes, good. Even literature is weighed and if there aren't enough words per page, the paper is not worth carrying, no matter the meaning. Poetry, I have calculated, has the worst word to page ratio. It's worse than being mercenary; I'm greedy for grammes.
Well, sometimes the better part of me overrules. I have, for instance, packed a pair of tiny glass vases wrapped in clothing and placed in a jewellry box simply for the possible wonder of seeing them again, maybe, high through the rockiest roads, with a different light shining through them.
I decorate my emptying rooms with another goodbye card.

1 comment:

Steve Chatelier said...

We are thinking of you as you make this journey - hope it is safe, fun and rewarding =) Looking forward to hearing lots of good stories.
Love,
Anouchka and Steve